The Alfa Laval AlfaFlash plate flash evaporator concentrates high-viscosity, high-fouling and shear-thinning fluids, safely, reliably, effectively. Compact, self-cleaning and easy to maintain, this forced circulation plate evaporator handles process liquids with high levels of suspended solids, meeting medium to zero liquid discharge requirements. Suitable for applications – from proteins, food, beverage, starch, and sweeteners to life science and industrial fermentation to wastewater.
Concentrate high viscosity, fouling-prone and shear-thinning fluids with ease
- Maximum uptime due to minimal fouling as a result of a higher shear rate and higher turbulence, which creates a self-cleaning effect
- Minimized disposal and transport costs due to highly efficient concentration of high-viscosity or shear-thinning process liquids
- Compact, space-saving footprint due to reduced height and weight compared to shell-and-tubes, cutting installation, operating and maintenance costs
- Excellent preconcentration and turndown capabilities due to energy-efficient dryers and adjustments to varying feed composition during recirculation
- Perfect for boosting capacity and debottlenecking existing evaporation systems
Versatile, compact, and self-cleaning, the Alfa Laval plate flash evaporator is effective for a broad range of applications with high viscosity, fouling-prone process liquids with high-solids content, such as supersaturated salt solution and olive mill effluent. Perfect for new or retrofit installations, these evaporators meet medium- to zero-liquid discharge requirements across all industries.
- BlueVap – a fully automated, pre-assembled thermal separation system that concentrates olive mill black water into 80% clear water and 20% biodegradable cake. No steam or cooling water required.
- AlfaFlash – a forced circulation evaporator that concentrates challenging process liquids with suspended solids and some crystallization
It’s a hundred times better than the old system! Apart from a scheduled summer close-down, it has run without interruption, producing the quality and consistency of Pot Ale we want. We clean the units in place by flushing at the end of each week and when we inspected the heat transfer surfaces during the summer shut-down, they were clean as a whistle.” – Shane Fraser, Distillery Production Manager, Glenfarclas Distillery
Alfa Laval helps us reach our goal of a zero-waste olive oil production with BlueVap.’ –Owner, Frantoio di Santa Téa, Reggello, Italy
Perfect for non-Newtonian fluids
Due to the corrugated plate pattern which promotes turbulence and continuous cleaning, the AlfaFlash flash evaporator does not foul as rapidly as shell-and-tube flash evaporators. In addition, when a product is shear thinning (stillage, corn steep liquor, protein solutions, etc.), the high shear of AlfaFlash flash plate evaporator reduces the apparent viscosity of the process liquid, which further reduces fouling and improves heat transfer performance.
Compared to a traditional shell-and-tube evaporation system, the AlfaFlash and AlfaVap system requires substantially less installation height and can be installed without complex civil work on site.
Heat sources for evaporation systems
Alfa Laval evaporation systems can use heat from different sources such as mechanical and thermal compression as well as waste vapours from dryers.
- Saves energy by reusing steam
- Simple and flexible
Mechanical vapour recompression, MVR
- High investment
- Low (or no) steam consumption
- Uses electricity
Thermal vapour recompression, TVR
- Low cost with reduced steam consumption
- Simple, no moving parts
Waste heat from dryers
- Low energy cost
- Relatively high investment
Pilot testing and rentals of evaporation systems
Try before you buy. Get expertise and advice from Alfa Laval engineers for the optimum configuration for your evaporation system, including:
- Detailed water analysis and characterization
- Process and water chemistry modelling
- Benchmark and/or pilot testing for moderate- to high-risk applications
- Detailed material compatibility evaluation
- Sample analysis
- Pilot tests
Visit the Alfa Laval Materials Technology & Chemistry Lab and Test Centre in Lund, Sweden, the Alfa Laval Innovation and Test Centre in Nakskov, Denmark, or rent one of our mobile pilot evaporation systems to conduct onsite trials at your plant.
A complete AlfaVap climbing film evaporation system includes plate evaporators, preheaters, cyclone separator vessels, thermal and/or mechanical vapour recompression units, pumps, instruments, valves, ducting and piping and a local programmable logic controller (PLC) and control panel. The system can be pre-assembled in Alfa Laval’s workshop, which reduces installation time on site to one to three weeks.
How a plate flash evaporator works
The Alfa Laval AlfaFlash plate flash type evaporator is a forced circulation flash evaporator. A pump recirculates the liquid between the cyclone separator vessel and the plate flash evaporator creating a highly turbulent flow inside the plate heat exchanger.
Boiling does not take place in the plate heat exchanger but rather the liquid is heated under pressure. The actual evaporation takes place when the heated liquid is discharged to the separator vessel where the pressure is released and the volatile liquid then flashes. Many AlfaFlash applications run under vacuum.
Multi-effect designs reduce the steam consumption requirements: the vapour produced in one effect is used as the heating media in a subsequent effect. In combination with thermal vapour recompression (TVR) and/or mechanical vapour recompression (MVR), the steam consumption can be reduced to a fraction of the evaporation capacity.
A complete AlfaFlash system includes the plate evaporators, preheaters, separator vessels, TVR or MVR, recirculation pumps, instruments, valves, ducting, piping, and a control panel.
You might also be interested in...
Evaporation solutions 3D/VR
Take a 360-degree tour of our evaporation systems in close-up. View the 3D/VR models of evaporation systems by simply clicking on one of the modules.
Explore our range of evaporators
Alfa Laval offers a wide range of evaporation systems from plate evaporators, and rising film evaporators to tubular evaporators and falling film evaporators. Find out what would work for your evaporation needs.